Whether you can start gardening with your kids today, or whether you still have a month or more to go before it’s safe to plant outside (like me…le sigh), I’ve got some gardening ideas here you can try with your kids right now.
I’ve been itching to get out there. Dirt under the nails, bugs in the hair, goofy gardening hat and bad shoes — I’m ready, baby!
In the meantime, we’re contenting ourselves with planning what we can plant, and making some things to go in the garden when it’s time, and playing with our fairy gardens (which come inside with us when it’s too cold. What kind of monster would leave the fairies outside to freeze?) Wanna join us?
How to plant and care for a garden with your family
- 5 Tips for Gardening With Kids from Peace but Not Quiet
- How to Plan Your First Garden from The Joys of Boys
- Creating a Butterfly Garden from Mosswood Connections
- Indoor Planting from The Educators’ Spin On It
- How Does Your Garden Grow? (setting up a vegetable garden) from Childhood 101
- Creating a Family Garden by Kitchen Floor Crafts
- 5 Tips to Grow Your Own Garden by Inner Child Fun
- Organic Gardening by Mama Smiles
- How to Start a Garden by Playdough to Plato
Get ready to garden by making some supplies indoors beforehand
- Egg Carton Seedlings from the BabyCenter Blog
- 8 Ways to Start Seedlings Indoors from 5280 Moms
- Fairy Garden Rocks from Peace but Not Quiet
- Stone Garden Markers from Adventure in a Box
- Popsicle Stick Garden Fairies from Glued to My Crafts
- Garden Welcome Banner from Inner Child Fun
- Wildflower Seed Bombs from Mosswood Connections
- Garden Labels for Kids from Playdough to Plato
- Herb Painting Activity from The Educators’ Spin on It
Garden year-round with a fairy garden! Place it outside in late spring and summer, and bring it in when the weather turns cool.
- Ideas for Fairy Gardens from Peace but Not Quiet
- Girl Scout Activity: Making Fairy Gardens from Peace but Not Quiet
- Set Up A Spring Fairy Garden from the BabyCenter Blog
- Magical Fall Fairy Gardens from the BabyCenter Blog
- Fairy Garden Play from You Clever Monkey
So, are you in the planting season where you are? Or are you in the prepping and waiting season like us?