This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tai Pei Food. All opinions are my own and are truthful.
I have a hard time planning meals and snacks during the summer.
It seems like the opposite should be true. During the school year, we’re running every which way – to scouts and sports and music – oh, and to school itself! It seems like that should be the time when it’s hard to get organized and plan out our dinners and after-school snacks. But summer is tricky in its own way. Now, we’re running around doing all the fun things we had to set aside – we’re going hiking, or swimming, or camping. Or we’re having a lazy day at home (those are important, too!)…and isn’t the whole point of a lazy day that I don’t have to worry about things like cooking?
So I’m always on the lookout for meals I can feed my family that are healthy but don’t require too much prep work. And since it is summer, I also look for things that don’t involve turning on the oven and overheating my whole house.
Tai Pei has healthy, microwaveable entrees that line up perfectly with my goals for summer meals. They’re healthy. They’re quick, so when we come back from the pool at 5pm, I can have dinner ready soon. And as I mentioned, they’re microwaveable so I’m not heating up our whole house cooking dinner.
Each entree is perfect for one adult, and my two younger kids can split one between them. The meals have real ingredients I can pronounce, with no added preservatives or artificial flavors. Most of them are packed with veggies as well, so I just cut up some fruit to set on the table alongside them and dinner’s done!
We also like using the entrees for snacktime. Now that it’s summer, on the days we’re not out and about, we actually have time to make some more creative snacks. The kids have fun helping, and they’re more likely to try the food they’ve had a hand in cooking. These delicious Orange Chicken Spring Rolls are perfect – skip the work of making the orange chicken and just spend time filling and wrapping the rolls. If you’re in a hurry or just want to mix things up – you can skip the rice paper. Grab a large iceberg lettuce leaf, add some filling, and make lettuce wraps instead!
- 1 pkg Tai Pei Orange Chicken, microwaved according to package instructions
- 1 pkg rice paper spring rolls skin (available in the Asian food aisle of major grocery stores)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Plum sauce or soy sauce for dipping
- Fill a large plate with warm water.
- Soak rice paper in the warm water, making sure that both sides are slightly damp.
- On a clean surface, lay rice paper out flat.
- Lay one lettuce leaf across the center.
- Add two Tb of cooked Tai Pei Orange Chicken on top of the lettuce, leaving two inches uncovered on each side.
- Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the rice paper until you have your spring roll.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut each roll in half and serve with plum or soy sauce for dipping.
You can also change these up and use any of the Tai Pei Food entrees instead of the orange chicken if you want – check out this video to see a few more of their flavors! (If you need help finding them in stores, you can check the store locator here.)