This beer cheese soup is a great Game Day recipe. And soup is easy to move around with — so you can dish up a bowl, plunk yourself on the couch, and watch the Broncos beat the…well, just about anyone, really.
Heat 1 Tb butter in a soup pot, add 1/2 c chopped onion (about 1/2 a medium onion) and 1/2 tsp minced garlic (I just do a clove.) Stir in 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 Tb butter
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 12-oz can/bottle beer
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 Tb cornstarch
- 2 c half & half
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onion or chopped bacon for garnish
- Heat butter in 4 1/2 qt soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce and stir well.
- Pour in beer, bring to boil for 3 min.
- Add chicken broth, return to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and 3 Tb water in a small bowl, stir until smooth and set aside.
- Add the half & half and shredded cheese to the soup and stir constantly until cheese is melted.
- Using a wire whisk, stir the cornstarch mixture into the soup and whisk constantly until soup thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with green onion or bacon bits and serve.