We have busy mornings around here.
Four kids, three school drop-offs (sometimes four, depending on the day). Three lunches, four breakfasts, two instruments to remember…and a partridge in a pear tree. So getting ready the night before is key to keeping our sanity in the morning. And that’s where overnight oats come in.
And in this case — chocolate for breakfast. You’re welcome.
It’s even a healthy chocolate breakfast. You’ve got your Greek yogurt, and oats, and dried cranberries (so good for you!). And then a little cocoa powder. That’s a solid way to start a day.
In fact, I made a bunch yesterday to put in the fridge, and it was all I could do to keep it away from the kids until it’s ready. They were trying to grab it as I finished and scarf it down immediately. Honestly. Strangers walking into this house would think I fed these guys once a day the way they carry on after two hours with no food. They think they’re dying. So I suppose I should make up some more oatmeal for everyone’s after school snacks today as well. I think they’d like that.
Just make sure you shake everything up well — the honey in there needs to combine with everything else. You could also just double the recipe, make it in a mixing bowl, and then pour into several jars when you’re done. If the lids are on tight, it should keep for several days in the fridge.
- 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tb honey
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 c oats
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- dried cranberries, chocolate chips, or walnuts for garnish
- Combine yogurt, milk, cocoa powder, honey, and almond extract in a jar and shake vigorously (or combine in a mixing bowl and stir.)
- Add oatmeal and dried cranberries and shake or stir again until all ingredients are combined.
- Refrigerate overnight in jars with tight lids. Sprinkle a handful of dried cranberries, chocolate chips, and/or walnuts nuts on top and serve.
If you’re looking for more delicious, simple breakfast ideas, try one of these as well:
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.