Something about spring just feels citrus-y to me. On Easter…and Mother’s Day…and often in between and for no reason at all…I find myself making lemon bars or orange cakes or lemon meringue pie.
We have a lemon bar recipe that I’ve been making since I was ten years old (published as “Lemon Love Notes” in my mother’s Farm Journal’s Country Cookbook) and I decided to play around with it a bit. I added more filling because, really, that’s the best part. And I added some orange peel as well. They’re kind of messy because of the extra lemon, but really good with a cup of coffee or tea as a little afternoon treat or dessert.
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 c sifted flour
- 1/4 c confectioner's sugar
- 2 c sugar
- 4 Tb flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tb lemon juice
- 2 tsp orange peel (found in the spice aisle)
- Combine flour and confectioner's sugar in a bowl, mix.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter and mix until crumbly.
- Press into ungreased 8-in square pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 15 min or until crust is golden brown. Cool.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, 4 Tb flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add eggs, lemon juice and orange peel and mix well.
- Pour evenly over baked, cooled crust.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 min.
- Cool in pan on rack. When completely cooled, cut into squares and serve.
- (Optional -- dust bars with additional confectioner's sugar before serving.)
Linking to: The Project Stash, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Artsy Corner, Live Laugh Linky, A Glimpse Inside, Treasure Hunt Thursday, Moonlight and Mason Jars, Blooming Link Party, Thrifty Thursday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, We Did It Wednesday, Inspire Me Wednesday, Lovely Ladies Linky, Snap Creativity, Wildly Original Link Party, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Mom Club Linky, What I Learned Wednesday, Pinworthy Projects, Frugal Friday, Foodie Friday, Creativity Unleashed, Life of the Party, I’m Lovin’ It, Weekend Bloggy Link-Up, Party Bunch Link Party, Feathered Nest Friday, Weekend Re-Treat